Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mushroom problem

Re: Mushroom problem

Mushrooms tend to like a low flow of water over them and no strong currents. Supplements like iodine and trace elements might help.

Hermit Crab

Thanks for all your advice. I added a dose of calcium/strontium/molybdenum/iodine supliment a few days ago, so hopefully that will help.

No problem, fingers crossed and it might start to thrive again soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky M View Post

My tank phosphate level was slightly raised, but for a long time it was very very high (used to use tap water with dechlorinator) and then the corals were unaffected, so can't see how the phosphates have caused this. We eventually got the phosphates down with phosphate remover and switching to RO water.
    hi nicky

do you have any carbon in your filters or sump?
    carbon will remove harmful toxins,organic waste producks and yellowing from the water which will improve the health of your livestock and improve the penetration of light leaving your aquarium crystal clear.
    just with you saying that you used tap water
    theres a lot of toxins in tap water that are harmful to marine life
    (jmo but always use ro water when topping or water changers)

Hermit Crab

Thinking about it I haven't had a carbon filter in the last 2 times I've done a filter clean. I ran out and hadn't thought to get any more when I've been in fish shops. I'll get some at the weekend.

Probably forgot as the coldwater tank doen't have carbon in unless I'm removing meds.

I do only use RO water now. Originally followed my father in laws advice when setting up the first tank. He's old school and RO water wasn't even around when he used to keep marine fish (at least he said it wasn't).

He set up his new tank last Christmas and I've only just talked him into swapping to RO. We did look into buying an RO unit buth LFS said as we only have a 220 litre tank which it wouldn't be cost effective as it has to be running all the time to stop the filters drying out.

The brown mushroom seems to be perking up a bit now. The mushies are definitely looking bigger. The green ones have had it though. All but 2 have died from the middle out (now look like rings)and the 2 that are left are tiny and have shrunk like the brown ones were doing. Annoying as they were an electcric green colour and probably the brightest thing in the tank.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12