Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gone Green

Sea Cucumber

Gone Green

Hello, need a bit of help, I’m struggling.

Mostly, my water is good. dKH is still low but getting close to the 8 mark. 6.9 tonight.

Mg is coming down to usual levels.

See photo. Do I buy a chemical to fix it? Do I let it be? The fish seem OK. They are eating and acting normal. All of them! I’m concerned it has something to do with the hermit crabs. Something tells me it’s them. Could be way off of the mark, mind.

ANY help/advice would be great.

Cheers,
    Liam
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Gone Green

I would not recommend chemicals in a tank that size it can be hard to keep the water prems stable , i have never heard of hermit crabs being the prob . How long has the tank been set up ? i would keep up withe the water changes and wait it out for a little while longer ,sorry if Gary has already asked you this but what lights do you have , how long are they on for and is your tank near a window? A uv steriliser might help

Sea Cucumber

It’s only a 50l tank. Been set up for 3 months. I am using standard Aquael supplied light. It’s a strip of white and strip of blue. Can’t turn one set off, they’re always blue and white. The light is on from 4:30pm to 10:30pm. It’s next to a Windows but it doesn’t get sunlight through it....
    So, I looked at a UV steriliser but I don’t have a sump. The tank I’ve got it pretty poor. Knowing now what I didn’t know then is annoying me that I got this tank. I should have got the works.
    I did a 10% change yesterday. I changed the buffer pads in the filters tonight. What would you suggest on water changes? Every other day?

Hi Liam, sorry not been on for a couple of days, is it your glass that is green or water ?

I would not do anymore water changes until you find out what is causing this as it could be the water you are using ? where are you getting it from ?

I would stay you might need a uv steriliser which you can get from here https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fish-Intern...5745616&sr=8-1 But if you are thinking of upgrading your tank in the near future then it could be wasted money as will not be big enough for a bigger tank.

I think that if it is your water and not green on the glass it is to do with to much light as being next to a window and with the days getting longer this will not help.....try closing the curtains for a couple of days and see if that helps and leave the tank lights off for 24 hours.

Hope this helps... you have my number if you need to text.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gary R For This Useful Post:

Liam-A (01-04-2020)

Sea Cucumber

I ordered one of them UV pumps this morning. Hopefully that’ll sort it. It’s the water that’s green, I keep cleaning the sides just to make sure.

I get my RO off Ian. I got some Kent salt and made my own up. Tested it before it went in and all good on the salinity.

Sea Cucumber

Water test results:
    Salinity: 1.026
    dKH: 8.0
    Mg: 1290
    Ph: 8.0
    Ammonia: 0ppm
    Nitrite: 0ppm
    Nitrate: 0ppm

It must be the sunlight peaking through the blinds. I’ll keep them closed for a couple of days and stick that UV filter in tomorrow and keep you posted.

Cheers Gary & Lost. Appreciate the advice

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Liam-A For This Useful Post:

Gary R (01-04-2020), lost (02-04-2020)

1 X see-through marine fish tank on its way, in Liam's house glad the uv steriliser is working and will be able to see again

Sea Cucumber

This doesn’t look great but I can assure you, it is a million times better than what it was!!!

Sea Cucumber

I can see fish and corals... don't need this anymore

Should be ok in 48Hrs Liam.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gary R For This Useful Post:

Liam-A (03-04-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast