Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving house

Sea Cucumber

Question Moving house

Hiya

We are moving house and just wondering what we do with our pond and fish????? We are going into rented accomadation for a few weeks between moving from our old house (with pond & fish) and our newly built home.

Its driving me nutts!!! sleepless nights etc we've only had the pond for about a year now but wouldnt be without it and the fish are part of the family now

Can anyone please give us some much needed advice?

Cheers

Graham

Re: Moving house

Quote Originally Posted by graham67
    Hiya

We are moving house and just wondering what we do with our pond and fish????? We are going into rented accomadation for a few weeks between moving from our old house (with pond & fish) and our newly built home.

Its driving me nutts!!! sleepless nights etc we've only had the pond for about a year now but wouldnt be without it and the fish are part of the family now

Can anyone please give us some much needed advice?

Cheers

Graham
    Hi and welcome to the forum Graham

first or all you say that your moving into rented accomadation, does this have a garden ??
    second thing is you say that youn are taking your fish with you (as i would ) but are you taking the pond as well ? which if this is the case it would be a pre-formed pond ?

please answer these, and we can go on from here

Regards Gary.

Sea Cucumber

Quote Originally Posted by Gary R
    Hi and welcome to the forum Graham

first or all you say that your moving into rented accomadation, does this have a garden ??
    second thing is you say that youn are taking your fish with you (as i would ) but are you taking the pond as well ? which if this is the case it would be a pre-formed pond ?

please answer these, and we can go on from here

Regards Gary.
    Hiya Gary

we dont know if our rented prpperty will have a garden or garage....

And the pond is made upof wooden sleepers approx 4ft deep x 5ft dide x 11ft long so as you can see its not that moveable

We are in a bit of a state with all the house moving etc and the welfare of our fish, its getting us down.......

thanx

Graham

Right the next thing iam going to ask you is how meany and what sort of size are they, cant see there being to much of a problem, but a picture of it at the moment would help alot.
    You will need to think how to move at least half the water that they are in now and plus the pump and fillter, anyway let us know about the above m8

Regards Gary.

sorry about the late reply graham..

aint there no way you can leave the fishes how it is for now and come back every 2-3days(unless the temp location is far away to the old house) to feed the fishes? then once you are settled in the new place you can take the fishes over there then?

and if someone is moving in the house with the pond straight after you move, you can ask them if you can leave the fishes for now and come get them as soon as you are fully settled.
    Endless possibilities with fish-keeping.

Sea Cucumber

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo
    sorry about the late reply graham..

aint there no way you can leave the fishes how it is for now and come back every 2-3days(unless the temp location is far away to the old house) to feed the fishes? then once you are settled in the new place you can take the fishes over there then?

and if someone is moving in the house with the pond straight after you move, you can ask them if you can leave the fishes for now and come get them as soon as you are fully settled.
    Right just to let you guys know, we are just in the process of people viewing our house (house was put on market two days!) so we dont know who will be buying yet?? we will be in rented accomadation, dont know where or how long forbut will be there until our new home is built June-July??? so nothing certain except we will have to rent......

We were hoping that the new owners would let us come & take care of our fish but as we dont know who they are yet all this is speculation.

Another thought was to use a preformed pond for the time we are renting until I can rebuild or build from new another pond at our new home.

Bottom line is we want our fish and we want a pond be it new or relocate our existing one.

There are about 20 fish ranging from a few Golden Rudd, Golden Tench (2) Gold fish and Koi Carp. The biggest Koi being around 8lb in weight (a new addition it was my wifes Mothers until she moved home too) the other Koi are around 7-9 inches in length.

Hope this helps

thanx

Graham

Hi and welcome..

Personally I would remove the fish and take with you if you cannot trust the new owners to ignor them in the pond or let you come by and feed them.

If you can do that tho thats great.. but otherwise.. I would buy a preformed pond and transfer them into their temp home until June/july when you move in your new house. Or a large tank even.. but just keep it outside?
    Its only temporary after all. (thats the only way I can see if you find its not convenient for the new owner of your house to keep them in their original pond til the summer)
    some people can just be awkward for the sake of being awkward.. so bear in mind these alteratives.

Hope you get something sorted Graham.
    Tsia x

I can watch my tank and its contents in their little aquatic world for hours! xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Tsia
    Hi and welcome..

Personally I would remove the fish and take with you if you cannot trust the new owners to ignor them in the pond or let you come by and feed them.

If you can do that tho thats great.. but otherwise.. I would buy a preformed pond and transfer them into their temp home until June/july when you move in your new house. Or a large tank even.. but just keep it outside?
    Its only temporary after all. (thats the only way I can see if you find its not convenient for the new owner of your house to keep them in their original pond til the summer)
    some people can just be awkward for the sake of being awkward.. so bear in mind these alteratives.

Hope you get something sorted Graham.
    Thats a good point Tsia

once you have sold Graham there is not a thing you could do if the new owners turned round after a couple of days/weeks and told you to get lost, your not having them fish, it does happen in the real world these days.

so going back to my last post it would be better to think about moving them, fillter pump water and the fish

Sea Cucumber

Quote Originally Posted by Gary R
    Thats a good point Tsia

once you have sold Graham there is not a thing you could do if the new owners turned round after a couple of days/weeks and told you to get lost, your not having them fish, it does happen in the real world these days.

so going back to my last post it would be better to think about moving them, fillter pump water and the fish
    Thanx guys..

I was thinking of moving them, Fish pump and water to a a place where i've access to and can take care of them myself without any restrictions...... Just thinking of a way of keeping the fish??? Thought of a preformed pond/Container..... like the ones Koi are shown in at shows?

Just dont want it to cost me an arm and a leg!!!!

Graham.
    A bad days fishing is better than a good day at work.

You could try ringing round a few garden centers and asking if any have an old preformed plastic pond you could borrow. You often see them kicking around out the back. Try to cut a deal and say you will be buying a liner and filter stuff off them to get them interested.

Unfortunately i don't know any up your way but some down here are more than helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast