Thread: Goldfish

Goldfish

Im gonna go out and buy gold fish and stuff for the tank, what do i need to do to start off with, as when i was young mine always died within a week, so I wanna do it all properly and then when i know i can take care of the goldfish properly im going to get more fish.

What are the first steps i need to take to make sure my fish will be happy and live long?

Re: Goldfish

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Im gonna go out and buy gold fish and stuff for the tank, what do i need to do to start off with, as when i was young mine always died within a week, so I wanna do it all properly and then when i know i can take care of the goldfish properly im going to get more fish.

What are the first steps i need to take to make sure my fish will be happy and live long?
    Whats the size of your tank?

A small powerhead with a under gravel filter mat is normaly perfect for gold fish. A few plants will help as well.

Under gravel

Water is drawn down through the gravel and up a riser pipe. The gravel bed becomes the filter media hosting the nitrifying bacteria. Under gravel filters can be operated with either a power-head or an air pump (power heads are much better and make less noise).

I havent got a fish tank yet but was in the pet shop today to have a look, and the guy said cos im starting out goldfish are the best to start with, he was gonna give me a starter kit (goldfish bowl, stones and food and 2 goldfish) and told me thats the best to start off with. Im not to sure on the size of the bowl he was giving me. I dont have anything for the fish at the moment so im looking to buy stuff within the next few days.

I havent got a fish tank yet but was in the pet shop today to have a look, and the guy said cos im starting out goldfish are the best to start with, he was gonna give me a starter kit (goldfish bowl, stones and food and 2 goldfish) and told me thats the best to start off with. Im not to sure on the size of the bowl he was giving me. I dont have anything for the fish at the moment so im looking to buy stuff within the next few days.

Ouch am not to keen on bowls. I would go for a small nano style squre tank but thats my pref. There loads of nice ones for sale in the fish shops around here but i guess thats no good to you .

Quote Originally Posted by Timo View Post
    Ouch am not to keen on bowls. I would go for a small nano style squre tank but thats my pref. There loads of nice ones for sale in the fish shops around here but i guess thats no good to you .
    If i was gonna go and buy a fish tank i think id buy tropical fish, but you need more stuff for that. Il think about it anyways. Cheers for your help.

Just wanted to let you know that I was at Pets @ Home today and got a tropical fish tank and it hadthe light and heater with it, so we will just be getting tropical fish now and i think they are nicer. Thanks for ur help.
    If your just visiting the Forum why not? Sign up to see what the forum has to offer.

Just wanted to let you know that I was at Pets @ Home today and got a tropical fish tank and it hadthe light and heater with it, so we will just be getting tropical fish now and i think they are nicer.
    Cool, im sure they will be the best kept fish in town

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsty View Post
    Just wanted to let you know that I was at Pets @ Home today and got a tropical fish tank and it hadthe light and heater with it, so we will just be getting tropical fish now and i think they are nicer. Thanks for ur help.
    Good on you Kirsty

I was going to say when reading this...that you would be better going into tropical fish instead of goldfish as you only would of needed a heater and light to get you started, and they do look a lot nicer and the plants that you can get as well are nicer than the cold water ones.

Wink Re: Goldfish

Heya there, just wanted to make sure you have some idea of the stuff you need when starting a tropical tank and cycling the tank and stuff like that, if not i know we have a lot of knowledgable people to help you with kind of stuff I always had tropical aquariums so I have tons of advice always about tropical fish, never done saltwater but one day, one day

-Leslie
    No eatting here tonight, no eatting here tonight... no no no eatting here tonight, you're on a diet