Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saltwater?

Saltwater?

You walk into the aquarium shop and are immediately dazzled by the colorful and intriguing display. There before your eyes is an almost unbelievable menagerie of aquatic wonders such as clownfish, anemones, large angelfish, sharks, even a moray! You tell yourself, "I've gotta have a setup like that."

Well, sharpen your perseverance and patience, get ready to read a whole lot, prepare for some missteps along the way, and open up that wallet( saltwater doesnt come cheap!!!).
    Welcome to the world of saltwater aquariums.

No doubt about it, there is simply no comparison between a freshwater setup and a successful saltwater display. Nothing against the freshwater tank it's fabulous and definitely the way to go for most enthusiasts, but the saltwater environment provides a home to a far more interesting array of creatures. The reason being is that the saline habitat is more complex, and therein lies both the wonder and the bane of the saltwater fan.

If the freshwater aquarium offers its own array of difficulties in maintenance and keeping healthy stock, the saltwater tank can be even more cantankerous. It can be downright tough to develop a saltwater environment and keep it on an even keel. For most succesful saltwater aquaculturists the journey was fraught with disappointments and expense before they finally achieved a balanced, healthy status. That journey can take anywhere from a few months to several years, and set you back many hundreds, if not over a thousand of pounds.

Yet the end product can be magnificent. And it is well worth the effort for the aquarium fan who is sincere about putting in the time, energy and money to make it happen. we are here to help you do just that, just give us a shout by starting a new thread, PM, etc. we will be happy to help...
    Endless possibilities with fish-keeping.

Sea Cucumber
    Ok guys. Right now i have a 35 gal freshwater tank. Next summer, i am wanting to convert it to a saltwater tank. Could you guys help me out by letting me know about how much this might cost me starting off, and the main parts i would need for the new marine fish? Thanks in advance.

im no expert on marine but can help ya on the basics, the expert on marine is Gary
    Endless possibilities with fish-keeping.

Re: Saltwater?

Hi gang i think its time to start keeping some saltwater fish again.I have a 15Gal (68L) Large Hexagonal Tropical Aquarium.The main thing i am worried about is the light i dont thing it is strong enough but i am not thinking of keeping live coral,a bit would be nice.Any advice from you guys would be welcome

Quote Originally Posted by lost View Post
    Hi gang i think its time to start keeping some saltwater fish again.I have a 15Gal (68L) Large Hexagonal Tropical Aquarium.The main thing i am worried about is the light i dont thing it is strong enough but i am not thinking of keeping live coral,a bit would be nice.Any advice from you guys would be welcome
    Don't worry to much a but the light if you only want to keep fish, most fish don't like bright lights.

You can keep lots of soft corals most are filter feeders and live off nutrients. Look out for a small T5 unit to fit your tank would be a good mod to up your lighting.

First job you need it do is get a good protein skimmer, focus most of your budget on it to start with + live rock .

Thanks mate first things first this is my plan i have seen a few tanks with the rocks built up at the back i would like to try this .I am looking more at crabs/shrimps/tube worms ect more than fish.When you say soft corals what are we talking about? and is the t5 the whole kit or just a tube?This is a pic of my tank so i guess you could call it a nano size plus some info on it

Light System: 18W fluorescent tube (with on/off switch)
    Filtration: Advanced (3-stage) filter built into hood
    Tank Dimensions:
    [FONT=Arial]Height 64cm (25”)x Width 46cm (18”) x Depth 41cm (16”)
    one last thing for now how deep do you think the sand should be? and after everything has settled in what sort of stock levels are we looking at? i plan to start with say one clown fish( i think this is a good starter fish) to seed the tank then start from there sorry for all the questions filter medium i was thimking of crushed coral good idea?
    Last edited by lost; 19-06-2008 at 09:29 PM.

T5 is the diameter of the tube but you probably will need to buy the running gear because they only run off electronic ballasts, T8 can run of magnetic the up side is electronic is cheaper to run. T5 are a lot brighter this is a T5 next to a T8 actinic;

There are about a million studies on having a deep (DSB) or a shallow (plenum) bed of sand and none of them are very conclusive in the end to which is best.

IMO is would advise a plenum because there is a lot less to worry about like gasses and nitrate release which can happen if you disturb a DSB.

So thats a shallow sprinkling of sand on the bottom .
    Last edited by Timo; 20-06-2008 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lost View Post
    one clown fish( i think this is a good starter fish) to seed the tank then start from there sorry for all the questions filter medium i was thimking of crushed coral good idea?
    Clowns tend to get a little aggressive if left on there own two tend to be more social. Your tank will need to be mature before you add a clown fish they are not as hard as a damsel fish.

I prefer the look of coral sand but its your preference.

should of said the pic of the tank is just to show you what sort so you would have a better idea of the size ect it is not my tank if you see what i mean.I have coral sand at the bottom and i will post a pic when i have installed the rocks ect i have the same tank sorry for the missunderstanding

just to add to this lost

i see the tank as a fillter fitted in it but you might need a better one to be on the safe side and you will need to get yourself a good Protein Skimmer to remove waste from the aquarium water.

here are a couple of site's to look at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/High-Quality-P...742.m153.l1262

and here http://www.swelluk.com/marine/marine...FRLRugodrCDxXA

Regards Gary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast