Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: My marine tank

Hermit Crab

My marine tank

It's only a baby next to some of yours. Hoping to upgrade in the new year to a 220 litre Aqua one regency, if we manage to save enough!

We started with an orca 9 months ago, but realised in no time that it was just too small. We then converted this 130 tropical and already want a bigger tank. The next upgrade will have to be the last!

Re: My marine tank

cool looking tank
    love the rock work

nice to see you got the upgrade bug
    i got it started with a aqua one 50gal then went to 180gal 8ft tank

what skimmer are you using?

Hermit Crab

We've got a prizm. Other half wants to buy the surface skimmer attacment for it. So far we've only seen it sold seperately on ebay.

They had this tank in WOW a year ago set up as a marine and I would love to get it looking like their set up. It was basically a wall of rock, with loads of corals on it. Loads of nooks and crannys for the fish to swin in and out of. It was the nicest marine set up I've seen even though it was small.

It is a nightmare having to move the rock when it's like this as it's really hard to keep it both high and stable! I'm also having no luck finding small fargs of corals at propotionate prices. I really just want lots of small pieces of mushies and zoas in different colours. I'm hoping to venture in manchester direction soon to look at what their shops have to offer. Any reccomendations will be most welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky M View Post
    We've got a prizm. Other half wants to buy the surface skimmer attacment for it. So far we've only seen it sold seperately on ebay.

They had this tank in WOW a year ago set up as a marine and I would love to get it looking like their set up. It was basically a wall of rock, with loads of corals on it. Loads of nooks and crannys for the fish to swin in and out of. It was the nicest marine set up I've seen even though it was small.

It is a nightmare having to move the rock when it's like this as it's really hard to keep it both high and stable! I'm also having no luck finding small fargs of corals at propotionate prices. I really just want lots of small pieces of mushies and zoas in different colours. I'm hoping to venture in manchester direction soon to look at what their shops have to offer. Any reccomendations will be most welcome!
    i got a primz but dont use it any more there are better skimmers for same money. too noisily i'll have a look for the surface cup thats if i still got it?
    im using tmc v2 1000 skimmer

have you tryed using milliput to stick the rock to each other it sets in water

best lfs in manc is acropora house (see marks big tank)
    and aqua world

Hermit Crab

I have thought about miliput, but then wonder if it's all stuck together how to you get things like dead shrimp (something killed my shrimp last night) out of the tank easily. Or what if you make a mistake, is it easy to undo?

When we upgrade tanks and I set up the rock in there I will probably try it.

We only got that skimmer because I had a bit of a paddy about not wanting anything unsightly on the back of the tank! I never think it's noisy until I turn it off! Mind you we almost always have the TV on!

i got a breeding trap full of frags so get your butt to world of water before the other reef junkies do! ive been tryin to get them to settle on small rocks some have some havent. i have bits of button polyp, knobbly mushrooms blue shrooms and a striped shroom. and a but of pulsing xenia i think. i will save them for you at good prices if you reply to this post.

thats a nice tank you got there

surface collection cups cost 39.99 for prizms and come with carbon cartridge i can order them

Hermit Crab

I was after some pulsing xenia last week when I came in too!

I'm not meant to be buying any more bits for the tank, but if there's a bargain to be had I'll sneek up next time I have the car!

I'll tell the other half about the surface skimmer, but I'm sure he's seen it for about £25 somewhere. he's responsible for buying all mechanical stuff, I buy all the pretty stuff!

I bought a boxing shrimp last week but something has killed it it seems. Last night at 2.30am it was fine, this morning at 6.30 the crabs were eating various parts of it. I have possibly got a pistol shrimp (somethings making a racket, clicking away day in day out) and both shrimps I've had have been got at. The fish seem to go unscathed though.

If it is a pistol I've never seen it, dispite late night vigils. I certainly hear the blighter though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky M View Post
    I have thought about miliput, but then wonder if it's all stuck together how to you get things like dead shrimp (something killed my shrimp last night) out of the tank easily. Or what if you make a mistake, is it easy to undo?
    miliput will brake from rocks easy

as for getting any thing dead out thats the job for the clean up crew (ie hermits crabs)
    if i can net it easy then i will but i will not move my rock to get it out the other fish and crabs will clean it all up

as for the clicking sounds like a pistol shrimp they are great little things
    try and stick a prawn in at night tied to a small bit of rock and see if it comes out

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast