Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My marine tank

Hermit Crab

Re: My marine tank

The mantis youtube clips are even worse. I lept out of bed one night after dreaming one was getting me.

I'm really not sure what I have, I caught a fleeting glimse of it the other day and it was so fast I couldn't tell what it was. It was very small though.

I've seen the pistol in daves shop and I saw a mantis for sale in the leyland fish shop yesterday I couldn't say if what I have was either. It was like greased lignting.

I was sat with a red bulb for an hour in front of the tank at one am last night and saw nothing. As normal it clicked like mad until I approached the tank. The little devil is obviously watching me.

I've got a bottle trap in there at the moment, but I have no hope of catching anything.

It's sending me insane not being able to identify the creature. andI go to work like a zombie some days because I have been glaring into my tank until the early hours!

Lol the red light and the curtains just made me larf

i have a blood shrimp i have only seen through a gap in the live rock.

Correction i have just put a small bit of prawn in the tank with some tongs, it didnt even get to the bottom b4 the blood shrimp ran at the tongs and tried to attack the prawn b4 i had even let go of it.
    Last edited by mac2kw; 04-11-2007 at 08:46 PM.

i had a mantis shrimp in my main tank about 9 months back, and one night i saw it go after one of the new cleaning shrimps that i had put in, and as soon as it saw me it went into the first rock it could get to this being one of the bottom ones so i thought get in there, which i did, i move every rock untill i got to the one it was in .
    out came the soda water that i had and poured it over the rock were the holes were and two mins later he came flying out into my bucket, i just played with him for a day or so and what a snapper he was.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky M View Post
    The mantis youtube clips are even worse. I lept out of bed one night after dreaming one was getting me.

I'm really not sure what I have, I caught a fleeting glimse of it the other day and it was so fast I couldn't tell what it was. It was very small though.

I've seen the pistol in daves shop and I saw a mantis for sale in the leyland fish shop yesterday I couldn't say if what I have was either. It was like greased lignting.

I was sat with a red bulb for an hour in front of the tank at one am last night and saw nothing. As normal it clicked like mad until I approached the tank. The little devil is obviously watching me.

I've got a bottle trap in there at the moment, but I have no hope of catching anything.

It's sending me insane not being able to identify the creature. andI go to work like a zombie some days because I have been glaring into my tank until the early hours!
    What is the clicking noise like?

Last edited by Timo; 04-11-2007 at 08:33 PM.

Hermit Crab

As I was playing the second clip mine was merrily clicking away and it sounded almost identical. The weird thing is that it sounds like the glass is being tapped, even though there is nothing anywhere near the glass.

Surely if it was clicking against the rock it would sound different?

I have flushed the rock, each and every piece, about 3 times now with soda water (an expensive job as our bargain booze only sells shwepps at about £1 per bottle). I've got hitchiker crabs out but no mantis or pistol shrimp.

I think I know which bit of rock it lives in and it is a huge piece with loads of tiny holes in it. None of these holes go right through the rock though, which makes flushing difficult. I've had this piece of rock in a seperate bucket overnight and there was no clicking in the tank whilst the rock was out, nor was there any from the bucket though, and no sign of it coming out either.

It's very frustrating. I daren't buy anymore shrimps, but as it seems to leave the fish alone, It doesn't concern me too much, but I just want to see it and know what is making the racket. If they are so shy, how do so many people manage to get clips of them on youtube?

what a cracking tank you have there Nicky...looks lovely..
    Endless possibilities with fish-keeping.

Hermit Crab

I'm a bit fed up with it at the moment to be honest! because of the way the rock is set up I have to rearrange it to get each new bit of coral in!

I really want a wider tank so I can be a bit more imaginative with the decor! We are trying to be sensible and wait until we have saved up for a tank; it's hard overcoming the urge to just stick one on the credit card!

We only have room for a 220 litre tank, and then only if we cut our computer desk in half. My father in law pointed out today that if we did away with the PC all together we could get up to 7 or 8 feet, but that would be way too much expense!

When I'm in friends bigger houses all I can think is that if I lived in them I'd be able to have both a huge marine and coldwater tank!

Sea Cucumber

it does make you think when you go into friends house's that would be a good place for a 6ft tank and it would look good over there as well
    and they look at you as to say your on another planet....well we can dream can't we

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky M View Post
    As I was playing the second clip mine was merrily clicking away and it sounded almost identical. The weird thing is that it sounds like the glass is being tapped, even though there is nothing anywhere near the glass.

Surely if it was clicking against the rock it would sound different?

I have flushed the rock, each and every piece, about 3 times now with soda water (an expensive job as our bargain booze only sells shwepps at about £1 per bottle). I've got hitchiker crabs out but no mantis or pistol shrimp.

I think I know which bit of rock it lives in and it is a huge piece with loads of tiny holes in it. None of these holes go right through the rock though, which makes flushing difficult. I've had this piece of rock in a seperate bucket overnight and there was no clicking in the tank whilst the rock was out, nor was there any from the bucket though, and no sign of it coming out either.

It's very frustrating. I daren't buy anymore shrimps, but as it seems to leave the fish alone, It doesn't concern me too much, but I just want to see it and know what is making the racket. If they are so shy, how do so many people manage to get clips of them on youtube?
    It sounds as if its a mantis shrimp to me and a pain at that. Not that much kills them because they are very aggresive. Sounds like to get rid of it you only have one option.

Take the rock out that it hides in and put it in a bucket. Put some rocks in the bucket and make sure the rock he lives in is well out of the water. Leave over night and you should find the next morning he will be under ther rocks in the bucket.

Good luck.

hi nicky

like timo said is the best way of getting it out

but i do have a mantis in my tank and has been in there for about 8 mouths now hes about 3" long and green(forgot the name) he only pops out when moon lights are on
    but i only see a flash of green but a part from a couple of small snail shell around his home i have had no probs with mine
    if it is a mantis or pistol i'll be more than happy to give it a new home in my sump
    hhmmmm swop you a skimmer cup for it

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast