Thread: Sumps, questions, pictures anything about sumps.

Sumps, questions, pictures anything about sumps.

Why do I want a sump?

* Increased total water volume - This dilutes your water of accumulating pollutants, and helps avoid issues that occur quickly in sumpless tanks.
    * Skims the surface - No more surface scum, just crystal clear water.
    * Hides equipment - Heaters, protein skimmers, monitoring probes, and more can be moved to the sump & out of the display tank.
    * Consistent water level - The display tank will maintain the same water level all the times; evaporation occurs in the sump over time
    * Safe place to pour in additives - Adding chemicals or new RO water in the sump allows it to mix before entering the display tank.
    * Increased circulation - The return water from the sump is yet another way to move water in your tank. You can point the return outlet(s) in different directions to create flow, instead of putting more powerheads in your display tank!
    * Increased oxygenation - As water drains into your sump, air mixes in the water, allowing beneficial gas exchange, releasing CO2 and adding fresh O2.

Eco system sumps;

An older style sump with lots of bio balls on the left.
    Last edited by Timo; 28-11-2007 at 05:42 PM.

Re: Sumps, questions, pictures anything about sumps.

More modern eco system sumps;

Below is a new double bed design.

Hermit Crab

Thats most of my sump questions answered. Now for a few further questions.

I don't have a sump, but in the not too distant future I am getting a new tank, not huge, just 220 litres.

I presume if I am going to have a sump then I should have one fitted when we purchase the tank. As the tank is reletively small ,would there even be room for one in the cabinet underneath? In other words can you buy titchy ones?

The tank we are looking at is an Aqua one regency 100, which is only one metre wide.

It must only really be an option to add one at set up, is this right. How much extra are we talking cost wise? Would an aquarium shop be likely to sell a tank and fit one for an all inclusive price (Dave wow that question is for you). I know my local fish shop in Leyland does sell full set ups, but they dont sell the tank we want.

To be honest, I think the cost will be prohibitive, but I need to make sure before ruling it out.

Hermit Crab

Just noticed the pictures! That looks comlicated!

The basic eco system;

To the right is the dirty water from the tank this is first skimmed by the protein skimmer. Then the chamber in the center houses some form of algae which removes nutrients that can not be skimmed out like nitrates ect. Then the last chamber on the left is the return pump which feeds the water back to the tank, fresh and cleaned. You can make them as simple or complicated as you like but this is the basic eco system.

This system is still regarded as the best by many fish keepers.
    Last edited by Timo; 28-11-2007 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky M View Post
    Just noticed the pictures! That looks comlicated!
    No they are quite easy things. If you are getting a new tank then its the perfect time to plan a sump. Get your LFS to drill your new tank because you can only do this when it is dry.

There are 2 other systems of sumps; Mecanical and Bio. I will find pics of these and post. Bio is the easy system of set up.

Sumps make fish keeping so much easier. You can hide all your gear in them and cut down all the noise from your skimmer plus its someware to put your hands in at the weekend.

If you are getting a small tank i would go for a filter sock and skimmer style sump like the berlin style but make it yourself very easy to do.

This is a filter sock you just wash then when they get grubby.
    Last edited by Timo; 29-11-2007 at 11:17 AM.

Bio sumps simply just flow the return from your tank over bio balls or other media. Very effective at filtering nitritre and ammonia but will raise your nitrate levels and dont filter them.

This is a simple bio sump;

Another style of bio sump instead of using bio balls live rock is used and a skimmer this will reduce nitrate as the water passes over the live rock and the skimmer will cope with the bio load which the bio balls was doing.

Last edited by Timo; 29-11-2007 at 11:28 AM.

I have done a diagram of a very easy to make small sump. All you need is an old cheap small tank. Take internal measurement (or tank) to your local window shop and ask them to make you the three dividers, these will be cut to size by them for you and very cheap. Then a trip to you LFS and you want a small tube of non toxic silicone they all sell it. Place books and stuff in tank to hold dividers in place and glue in. Leave 24 hours to dry then give it a quick wet test empty and your ready to go.

Durso style down pipes iliminate any sucking noises from the overflow pipe.

Or make a tube to do the some thing;

This is how my tank is and its Whisper quiet, no splashing or gurgling.