Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Tank!!!!

Hermit Crab

New Tank!!!!

Well, we have the new tank up and running. It took all day Sunday, but apart from a couple of glitches, it was quite smooth.

I haven't arranged the rock work yet, I just dropped it all in the middle for now and dotted the few corals I have on top. We need some more rock as it looks a bit lost in this tank. Once I can get out and buy some, I will have ago at arranging it all.

To be honest though I have no idea how I will do it as I cannot rech very far into the tank as it's so deep and I seem to have short arms!

So much for waiting for new year to buy the tank. We nipped into WOW on Saturday, but it was late and there was no one in to advise us on lighting units and there didn't appear to be any in stock, so we nipped into McMillans on the way home with 30 minutes before closing and bit the bullet and bought it there and then. They delivered it assembled at 10 am on SUnday morning.

The T5 lighting unit didn't work unfortunately, so that had to go back, but they called round tonight with the replacement. Their customer service has been excellent!

Re: New Tank!!!!

Wow thats one very nice tank you have there

wow nicky very nice tank

my first marine tank was the aqua one but only the 50gal tank

if you need any live rock have a trip to acropora house see mark
    i was in there last week, hes got some very nice LR.
    if hes not to busy ask him if you can have a look at his monster tank its stunning

Well iv got to say that is one nice tank and stand you have there Nicky
    and i dont think the rock you have there is lost at all, once you get a few corals in there and they start to grow it will soon fill up, and dont forget alot of corals come with some nice big pieces of rock on them.

dont do what i did and keep buying rock as you will end up thinking that there is to much in there.

Regards Gary

Hermit Crab

The rock probably only looks lost to me because the last one was full right up the back. I think I just want to build it up higher on the side where the filter inlet is, but I need just the right size pieces to cover it, but that can easily be removed if need be. I'll wait until new year when I go to acropora house before deciding. Simons dad reckons there is enough rock in it too.

Simon this is only 50 gallons too. In fact I think 220 litres is just short of 50 gallons.

So i need some fish ideas now. I've only got 5 small fish at the moment, but once I know the water is stable in here I want something a bit more exotic. I know the tank isn't big enough for all fish, so what would you recommend.? I only want peaceful fish that get along with the others. I want something colourful and easy to look after.

I also still have the clicking creature in there. I had the piece of rock out that it lives in for a full 24 hours, there was silence in the tank, but when the rock went back in the clicking started again that same night. Litlle bugger is destined to remain hidden for ever I think.

nice one i loved my aqua one tank i see if i got any pics

my dad got it now as a tropical tank

Hermit Crab

Nice tank Nicky...well done !!

Mine is 50 gals too.... you prob need about 25kg live rock

I think I have about 22kg in mine at the mo and mine looks quite full, plus when you buy corals they come on rocks too

Team trip to Acropora house ??

Wow that is such a lovely tank you have keep up the good work.
    If your just visiting the Forum why not? Sign up to see what the forum has to offer.

Hermit Crab

Your tank is looking great...you must be pleased with it

Hermit Crab

Actually it's driving me bonkers. I bought a couple of big corals last week and had to move the rock about a bit to sit them in the tank.

I kept dropping small bits of rock and I just can't reach anything that gets on the sand bed, the pieces that fell down the back are lost forever. I have some of those gripper things for picking things up but they don't open wide enough.

In the end I was on some step ladders in just jeans and a bra (I get soaked if I have a top on) and felt like I was going to fall in the tank. Any one in the houses behind ours could easily see in because I don't have blinds on the kitchen window. Can't have been a pretty sight I can tell you.

The problem may be solved when I get a few more big bits of live rock and can build it all properly, and higher at one side. You can't lift the top trim off the tank (like you can with the older models) so that makes it too deep to reach into.

Simon's also had to adapt our skimmer to fit on the back of the tank and he has pushed the tank too close to the wall to fit the bleeding thing. So now we are going to have to empty loads of water out and possibly the rock so we can move the tank forward a centimetre.

Still, at least it looks nice enough for now!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast