Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Tank!!!!

Hermit Crab

Re: New Tank!!!!

you need a mask & snorkell ...hehehe

Oh and a dry bra .... hope youve not got nosey neighbours !!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky M View Post
    I kept dropping small bits of rock and I just can't reach anything that gets on the sand bed, the pieces that fell down the back are lost forever. I have some of those gripper things for picking things up but they don't open wide enough.

In the end I was on some step ladders in just jeans and a bra (I get soaked if I have a top on) and felt like I was going to fall in the tank. Any one in the houses behind ours could easily see in because I don't have blinds on the kitchen window. Can't have been a pretty sight I can tell you.
    A lot of underarm deodorants contain some nasty toxins. If you have any on try to keep out of contact with the water, a couple of plastic grabbers would be your next best buy.

Hermit Crab

Good point Timo !

Since I started reefkeeping i stopped putting perfume on my wrists & i dot wear hand cream....

I now wiff like a builder...and have hands like a bricky...

all in the name of fishkeeping hehe

You dont think things like hand cream and perfume on your skin could affect your fish but you try drinking a bottle of each!

If it ant in the sea we dont want it in are tank thanks

Hermit Crab

I try and have a soap free shower before I do anything major in the tank, especially if I am going to end up more than armpit deep.

One problem coralwise I am having at the moment is a leather coral I bought 3 weeks ago. It's hardly ever opening (do you call it polyping?) I have moved it to diffeent parts of the tank a couple of times but it doesn't seem mega happy anywhere. It doesn't look like its dying off or anything it just doesn't seem to want to open up properly.

I've had it high and middling in the tank. I've just moved it lower down but now I'm not sure if it's in enough flow. How long can it take a new leather to settle in and open up a lot? I do have a goby that loves sitting in it, but is that enough to make it stay shut all the time?

Hermit Crab

When I moved my Leather over from my nano it took 3 weeks to settle...I thought I had killed it !!
    Im sure it will settle down soon

Hermit Crab

The leather has been opened up beautifully for the last few days now, until about a couple of hours ago when it closed again and really folded itself up tight. It looks like something has really freaked it out as it doesn't even fold up this much when I handle it!

We got a new powerhead yesterday (OH decided he wanted the Koralia 2)which seems to have brought the whole tank to life, the leathers especially perked up. Even the fish are out swimming almost constantly, whereas before most of them spent most of their time in the rock.

Also bought a coral beauty and a pyjama wrasse. I have since read that coral beauties may nip coral, but it seems to be leaving mine alone, though I only have leathers, mushies and polyps. ANyone else had problems with these fish with corals?

On the subject of power heads, we have put one of the old ones behind the rockwork and was going to buy another koralia for the oposite side of the tank to the one that is in now. But will that be too much? The Koralia we have in there now moves the corals even on the far side of the tank, and I am worried that having 2 may be too much flow. What do you think?
    I don't want the corals of fish to be blasted with too much flow.

Plankton mentioned yesterday that he only has 3 powerheads in his 8 foot tank, so would 2 koralia 2s be a bit OTT in a 220 litre tank?

Hermit Crab

koralias...they look great and are on my shopping list, are they held in place with magnets ?Ive heard good reports about them
    In my opinion I would have 2 good flow will stop detritus building up on rocks & help with water quality...occasionally I move the direction of the flow

Ive got 2 seios in mine one really stong one (1100) and one think its 850

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    koralias...they look great and are on my shopping list, are they held in place with magnets ?Ive heard good reports about them
    They are fab, i upgraded to the large koralia in my tank a couple of months ago and its working good. They dont clog up like powerheads and are easy to clean out if they do.

Hermit Crab

I think we'll get a smaller one then and and that to the otherside of the tank.

It's odd that when you put your hand in front of the flow, you can hardly feel any force coming from it, yet corals at the far side of the tank are swaying from the current it gives.

I must admit I think its a lot bigger than I expected, but as it's black and not grey like the other 2 we had, it doesn't look as unsightly.

Just discovered one major problem with having the tank where we have, although I can open the porch door fully, If I wanted to buy a new sofa (which I do) there is no room to get the old sofa out and a new one in. I'm wondering if this was a diliberate ploy to stop me asking for a new one!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast