Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems with a sturgeon

Sea Cucumber

Re: Problems with a sturgeon

Quote Originally Posted by djprincessx View Post
    Hey, just wanted to say, don't forget just regular maintenance on the tank, like regular 20% water changes, don't want the sturgeon to get sick after you got him this far Good luck!!
    Hi, Thanks for the info
    Currently doing 50% water changes every 2 days, due to high nitrites, keep adding the filter start stuff ever day, the water conditions are much better and the sturgeon is fantastic now...

Gonna start building my pond within the next few weeks so that should make the sturgeon even more happy...

Talking Re: Problems with a sturgeon

I would recommend just doing 25% water changes every 2 days because 50% can actually be dangerous, you gotta think that's 1/2 the water every other day. Just suggesting! Glad the sturgeon is doing better though. Just remember the advice everyone else gave you and when the pond is done, you will still have sturgeon to put in the pond :P

-Leslie
    No eatting here tonight, no eatting here tonight... no no no eatting here tonight, you're on a diet

Sea Cucumber

Quote Originally Posted by djprincessx View Post
    I would recommend just doing 25% water changes every 2 days because 50% can actually be dangerous, you gotta think that's 1/2 the water every other day. Just suggesting! Glad the sturgeon is doing better though. Just remember the advice everyone else gave you and when the pond is done, you will still have sturgeon to put in the pond :P

-Leslie
    Hi,
    Thanks for the info... i didnt know that changing the water that much was bad for the fish :|
    I am very new to keeping fish and it seems to be alot harder then i first thought... but i guess its good to learn new stuff...

also... i found my sturgeon swimming round the top of my tank last night he was going so fast he was making a small whirlpool, was quite good to watch...

cheers

Over time you will become suprised at how much you actually watch your fish. I used to just sit in front of my tanks for like hours They are just great creatures with different personalities like any other pet! Glad you are enjoying the sturgeon Also, I would do a 20% water change, at the most 2 times a week. Good luck hun!

-Leslie
    No eatting here tonight, no eatting here tonight... no no no eatting here tonight, you're on a diet

Sea Cucumber

Hi Guys

Just an update... The sturgeon is doing really well

again thanks so much for your help

I have attached a picture to this reply ... hope you like

Nice looking fish that baby sturgeon .
    Zeovit fan , Timo.

Talking Re: Problems with a sturgeon

yeah, it really is a nice sturgeon, good job! And u thought he was gonna die :P

-Leslie

Sea Cucumber

Hi guys,
    bad news....
    he died last night...
    I had named him Norman...
    really gutted!

he was swimming around the top of the tank last night with his head poping out the water...
    this morning he was at the bottom of the tank not moving...

I have taken him out of the tank...
    will my other fish be ok?

thanks for your help guys...

Ouch unfortunately you found out the hard way that sturgeon are not suited in tanks.

Depends what your other fish are! goldfish and a like should be fine.

"swimming around the top of the tank last night with his head poping out the water" sounds a like oxygen starvation, they need lots of fast flowing water to keep it oxygenated.

I wouldn't panic to much, add another pump to increase flow possibly.

Could you post a pic of tank and full specification of stock and filtration system then we can get a bit more of an idea on how to help. I'm personally not very knowledgeable with cold water fish but others are and I'm sure they could help.
    Zeovit fan , Timo.

Sea Cucumber

Question Re: Problems with a sturgeon

HI Guys,

My tank spec...

I have a Aquastar 56 tank (basicly a small ish tank with 56 liters of water in it.)

I have the standard filter pump that comes with it on the right hand side, I also have a Interper Air pump "avmini" it has an air flow of 75 l/hr

as for the swimming at the top of the tank with his head out the water... i dont think it could have been oxygen starvation... i have a crazy amount of air passing through the water...

Also i have been told that sturgeons do that when they are happy...

either way... the rest of the fish seem fine at the moment.

I have been talking to a guy at work who says getting a sample of pond water would be a good idea... and do a 20% water change with some pond water. This should get the bacteria flowing faster... is this true?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast