Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taken the plunge

Sea Cucumber

Taken the plunge

Hi all first post so go easy on me. Starting my first ever nano tank and have ordered a Orca Tl 450 and a R/O filter and hope to pick some other stuff up this weekend.
    Hope to stock this with
    1 yellow tail blue damsel fish
    1 green chromis
    1yellow watchman gobie
    and a cuc
    As the tank matures I would like to add a few corals
    Which salt do you think would be best ,a normal marine salt or a reef salt
    Also would like opinions on buying fish on the internet and recieving them by post, would be great for me,give me a bit more choice, but surely not good for the fish ?

Re: Taken the plunge

I would spend a little extra and get reef salt, Deltec H20 is good or Red Sea coral pro.

I buy all my fish from shops and never off the net because I like to see it in the flesh first before it goes in my tank.

Yellow tail blue damsel fish green chromis can be very territorial and aggressive you would be best to add them at the same time once the tanks matured fully.
    Zeovit fan , Timo.

Sea Cucumber

Thanks for the info timo,been doing a little research and I think the damsel is out, seems to aggressive, and read that the chromis is a shoaling fish,so they are both probably best left to people with more experience than me.
    My first lesson in marine fish, do your research.

Very cheap damsels but can turn into a pain. Invest in some nice live rock full of life.
    Zeovit fan , Timo.

Hi and welcome billythefish

As Timo says start off with a good reef salt, i use Red Sea coral pro as its a good price and its got everythink in it.

After setting your nano tank up with your rocks and water and getting all the setting right IE: salt, temp, ph, and so on, adding a couple of green chromis
    would be ok and help the tanks biological cycle to get going......plus get yourself some good test kits as this will save you money in the long run.....and the best advice we all can give you is take your time.

have a good read at some of our marine setting up posts we have on here, and we are always around to help out

Regards Gary

Sea Cucumber

Certainly gonna take my time,don`t expect my tank to arrive for 2 weeks,R/O filter has come though. don`t expect to be ready to add my live rock for at least 2 months
    While I`m waiting 4 my tank I`ll be getting my testing kits, hydrometre, salt, ect ect
    Just planning to far ahead concerning stocking my tank I suppose, but There`s not many lfs around here, and I want to decide what`s going in my tank before I visit so I don`t make the big mistake of buying unsuitable fish just because it`s all they have in stock.
    I think ,even though it`s a nano, and only suitable for 3 fish,it will take a while to stock it,as once I have decided wich fish would best suit my set-up, I will probably have to wait until they become available locally.

Hi mate and welcome you have picked the right place for all your marine needs i can agree with what the guys are saying about the damsel fish i had to take one back it was a right bully but have two yellow tail damsels now and they are not two bad

Sea Cucumber

Hi guys
    Tank arrived on fri, setting it up was pretty simple, even ran the skimmer for twelve hours and had no bubble problems
    dont know whether they have uprated the pump on this model but have ajusted the spray bar got good surface agitation AND ,I think agood flow in the main tank for my live rock, Ive got a Korilia nano as well but dont think I`ll need it, but we`ll see how it goes
    At first when I turned it on the back chambers over flowed, but I removed the rubber plug from the hole by the spray bar and that sorted it,I`ll need to cover this with mesh or modify the plug to allow water to flow through but keep my stock from ending up the pump chamber.
    Pump is a bit noisy,but this this because I have removed the ceramic noodles and balls,the pump usually sits on these and at the moment is kinda hanging there vibrating against the side of the chamber,when I get my live rock rubble for this chamber I`ll be able to seat it properly
    Had trouble getting temp right, set heater for 26 on fri, by sat it was 28.I checked the heater ,and the brackets that hold it ,if you clip it in as you are meant to, leaves about 3 cm out of the water, so I clipped it in and and after I had removed the ceramic balls was able to push it further down,Now getting constant readings of 26, even ran the lights for 10 hours today and it`s still 26
    So all in all it`s looking good, I have put some Agralive caribsea sand in and am going to a lfs on sun to look for my live rock
    Last edited by billythefish; 28-04-2009 at 11:11 PM.

Korilia nano's are great in small set-ups i would use it straight away from the start. Good flow rates are essential to get the best out of the surface area of your live rock
    Zeovit fan , Timo.

Sounds good mate keep us informed as to how you get on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast