Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seneye Reef monitor

Seneye Reef monitor

Well i got myself a seneye reef monitor for my reef tank the other day.

They also do them for coldwater,tropical aquariums and outside ponds as well.

as i said above i got the reef monitor for my marine setup, which you also need to buy a usb home base so that it can be networked unless you do have a PC close to your tank.

I end up getting the belkin wifi home base which is for sale on there site www.seneye.com/store

i'm still in the middle of setting this up which as ended up being harder then i thought....but i also found out last night after buying this home base that it is not suported for windows 7 and above ??? which i find strange why seneye would sell it in the first place with this being the case.

So early days of letting you know have it works

I will be adding to this thread and letting you know have i get along...so here is hoping that i can get this homebase setup .

Regards Gary
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gary R; 13-02-2013 at 05:27 PM.

Re: Seneye Reef monitor

by the sounds of it this will be a short thread keep us informed

well just came off the phone to seneye support.....i'm not happy at all

after me buying this seneye reef plus the belkin home base

I switch my laptop back on and it started working again

The guy now tells me that my PC needs to be running 24/7 to keep the updates coming in .....so what a waste of money buying the home base for £55

I could of just put an old netbook or laptop conected to it under the tank and left that running and save myself £55

They should be putting on the box that you need to have a PC runing 24/7 to get unlimted update well you are out and about.

Will they alow you to send it back?

Hmmm i would say not ....but its working now using the laptop

Will be getting back in touch with them tomorrow over it not working on me kitchen PC which as windows 7 on it, and the one which i did want to use this with.

keep us informed gaz

OK so here we go

Seneye Reef monitors a review by me over the next few weeks of what it does........

Temperature - constantly monitors water temperature, so you can get an alert if your heater breaks or your chiller fails.
    Free Ammonia - monitors the highly toxic free ammonia (NH3) at very low levels, so you can stop your fish from dying from Ammonia poisoning.
    pH - the Seneye monitors pH in your aquarium between 6.4 and 9. This range is ideal for most aquatic life and by focusing on this range increased accuracy has be achieved.
    Water Level - readings are only taken when the Seneye device is in water, no false readings.
    LUX - monitors ambient LUX and can be used to take direct LUX readings, understand how your light degrade over time.
    Kelvin - understand where on the kelvin range your lights are and how light can change over time.
    PAR - monitor the Photosynthetically Active Radiation (PAR), understand if you have the correct quantity and quality of light for your corals or plants.

To start off the unit cost me £81 from www.WarehouseAquatics.co.uk that was with 10% off..... it is £99 from seneye

you need to buy slides for this which last for 30 days and cost £18 for 3 months.

as i said above you need to have a PC running all the time if you want 24/7 cover to see your readings

you can buy the USB Power Adapter that this unit can plug into and it will save the data for 30 days which then you will need to plug it into your PC to down load the readings.....this will cost you another £10 for the USB plug

or you could add like me the Belkin home base wifi sender which you still need the software on a PC to get the readings which you can get these off Ebay for around £55 ...from seneye £65

They do have a App out for this as well for the iphone, ipad and android phones.....which i have a iphone 5 and yesterday it crashed 7 times when trying to view my readings

anyway more on this as the days go on.....i do need to get hold of there support team tonight once i get home over it not working on a windows 7 PC
    and that should be fun .....not

Regards Gary
    Last edited by Gary R; 14-02-2013 at 11:22 AM.

Glad to see you are finlay getting this up and running after a few teething probs

I would just like to say that I'm not trying to put seneye and there devices down in any way
    as i think this is a good idea for a lot of us that have £1000s of pounds in a reef or pond system and would not like to come home to a load of dead fish or corals.

all i am trying to point out is the ups and down of this unit and hopfully any problems will be sorted out soon

Regards Gary

Had this running for a couple of weeks now, and to be honest i just don't think it is worth the money if you have had a marine tank for a couple / few years running.....

Don't get me wrong.............
    This is Great for someone just starting out and new to the hobby as it shows temp, PH, free Ammonia, Dissolved oxygen and NH4 and once you get your head round it a Light table with LUX, PAR and Kelvin

For me its another Gadget to play with, which i did to start off with, then found it a bit boring after a week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast