Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seneye Reef monitor

Re: Seneye Reef monitor

so by the sounds of it you would be better off using the test kits

Yes unless they add the things to the unit you need to test to make life a lot easy'er ......like nitrites, nitrates, Calcium, alkalinity and for me i would like to see phosphates and Magnesium

Then you would have a Gadget that everyone would want to buy

But it is good to see your Temp and PH were ever you are on a iphone or PC
    Last edited by lost; 07-03-2013 at 01:47 PM.

Well its 5 months on and i'm having bad readings off this seneye unit with my PH saying that it is too low....this is day after day and have been for the last 4 weeks.
    I had put a new slide in and still was getting the same PH to low ....testing with 2 of my PH test kits it shows all is ok on both.

next thing I have found out is the updates that it does which goes back to seneye's server before coming back to a iphone or my PC at my works is always a hour or so later than when the reading was done .....so to me that shows that there server is not that good

next is the update we have been waiting for from seneye which is another unit that they were working on which would mean that you would not need to leave a PC running at home 24/7 to get your tests from them........were is it Hmmmm still waiting
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    From seneye home page

SWS seneye web server

29/04/2013 After many months of successful alpha testing we are now working on the tooling and beta boards for the seneye web server SWS; however we expect at least 2 months till we have product to ship. The SWS box will allow the seneye device to use your broad band router or switch to manage your seneye device from seneye.me. It totally removes the need for any computer in the home. Uploads will be faster, more reliable and it adds warnings for connection down (power out). There will be add-on modules available separately for Wi-Fi, Ethernet over power and eventually GSM.

If you want to be on the beta test let us know; we will add you to the list and offer you the chance to be the first to own. We will produce a limited amount of SWS for beta testing and will also ask for deposits in a few months. As a seneye beta tester you will receive a small discount on the SWS (for helping us test) and the latest firmware update for your seneye device.
    ----------------------------------------------------

Yes still ............waiting
    Last edited by Gary R; 09-08-2013 at 03:46 PM.

If I were you mate I would stick it on ebay it seems now they have your money they don't want to know, surely if you find the test results an hour later that can not be any good

Sea Cucumber

I too also bought a Seneye Reef about 6 months ago, I've had no end of false readings and every time the slide is changed (a monthly requirement) the readings change. After 3 months I rang Seneye and complained, they went through the conditions I kept my fish in and came to the conclusion, as I'm keeping Discus and using RO water the ionic value was very poor and the device couldn't read properly. I found this strange as a lot of serious fish keepers use RO water stored in barrels and aged for at least 48 hours prior to water changes.

I decided to change to tap water only and spent the next 2 month changing to 100% tap water using only fluval aqua plus water conditioner to protect the fish from dangerous elements that are present in water straight fom the tap. Once on 100% tap water I was still having exactly the same problems, PH reading way out, temp varies, ammonia sometimes shows higher levels but fine on manual testers. Again I rang Seneye and I was asked this time what my KH reading was, I checked it and it was zero from the tap, again they said this was the reason and I explained that my chemical PH testers read okay, my both of my PH probes read the same as each other and match the chemical tests so why would the Seneye have issues, they insisted having a KH of zero from the tap was rare and worrying, until I resolved this the Seneye wouldn't work, I explained I live in Manchester and the whole of the North West use the same 2 or 3 local sources of water, I don't live in a little village in Scotland or Ireland and a warning should be included on the box. I since found out from reading many threads and numerous sites that many fish keepers have a zero KH reading from the tap.

I have now spent a month bringing the KH value in my tanks and water storage to 8 - 10 and guess what, my reading are still all over the place and I've just changed the slide again and guess what, the readings have changed again from one slide to another.

This device has the makings of being fantastic especially if they deliver the additional readings they keep promising that never seem to appear, however, this is currently a complete waste of time and I will not be buying any more slides until this device is updated and works properly, I feel at the moment I have wasted around £150 on slides and the device that could have been better spent elsewhere.
    Last edited by acky3636; 27-02-2014 at 01:24 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acky3636 For This Useful Post:

Gary R (27-02-2014), lost (27-02-2014)

Hi acky

And welcome to Fish-keeping.com

Good 1st post as well m8 ...the only thing I take any notice of with my seneye monitor is the temp reading on it...Water conditions are one of the most important things we need to pay attention to in this hobby, and the rest of this monitor is a waste of time in my mind as it don't work..... I'm with you, £150 is a waste of money, there web site as not had any updates since I got this thing a couple of years ago and having to leave a PC on 24/7 was another bad thing you had to do to get any readings.
    As you said this could of been a good tool to have, if only they got off there backsides and got these new add-ons sorted out that they said was coming 12 months ago.

As for keeping Discus, Reverse Osmosis (RO) water is not necessary for juveniles or most adults around the north-west..... As generally most of us have tap water that is fine for discus around here. If you do need to use RO water - Never use 100% pure RO water as it can be too soft and the pH can drop dramatically, You would be better mixing a percentage of RO and tap water to make stable water with a GH 3 – 6.
    If you have not already ...get yourself a pack of Tetra EasyStrips 5-in-1 Test Strips, 25 strips •Results for Nitrate, Nitrite, General Hardness (GH), Alkalinity (KH) and pH

Thanks for your post on your seneye monitor

Regards Gary

Sea Cucumber

Hi Gary

Thanks for the welcome, It's nice for someone to bother.

Your correct with the temp, it's the only reading that's near to stable although mine does differ occassionally by about 1 degree.
    I do have a professional testing kit and two separate PH probes which is why I know the readings are so adrift of where they should be. I was interested in the Seneye as I work away from home occasionally and it was great to be able to access via the phone and check up on my tank. The device is a fantastic idea if they could get it to work, they seem helpful on the customer service line but will not admit there's a problem with the device.

Thanks for the advice ref RO, I was using it on one tank only (which is what I wanted the Seneye to report on) because I was trying to get some discus I've grown out to pair off and breed but I do use it with Waterlife 6.5 Buffer to replace all the minerals the RO unit has taken out and I do use tap water on the Juveniles and up to 50/50 as they get bigger to prepare them for the more acid softer water required for breeding.

Same as you, I get annoyed they give lots of information on the website to say they have lots under development nearly ready to go so you buy it, in reality in the 6 month I've had mine there hasn't been a single software update and nothing promised has ever been delivered.

Thanks for your comments and insights Gary

Regards

Kelvin

9. The Following User Says Thank You to acky3636 For This Useful Post:

Gary R (28-02-2014)

Welcome to fish keeping acky keep us informed how you get on with the Seneye

Just Added a Discus forum here: http://www.fish-keeping.com/forums/f....php?94-Discus
    hope to see some info and photos of your tank now Kelvin

Regards Gary

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12